Sunday, February 1, 2009

Seeing Red

This weekend has certainly been tamer than the last.  The blood alchol levels have stayed at a level a lot more conducive to academics as we've got a big week ahead of us with a meteorology (weather) test tomorrow, an air regulaiton exam on Tuesday, aerodynamics on Wednesday and then one more to round out a fun filled week on Thursday.  So if any of you want to know what happens to wind, temperature, turbulence and air pressure when a warm front passes, I'm your guy.  One more week of ground school and then the flying starts.   
I took a time out from being a study hermit in my room yesterday and went over to the simulator to practice emergency procedures with one of the other guys in my class.  We have access to it more or less 24 hours a day and can get in after hours with swipe cards.  It doesn't move so there are no barf bags involved -unless it is the day after initiation night- but it is surprisingly realistic and is pretty much like sitting in a real Grob.  The computer can be set up to throw random emergencies so that I can sit in and get the procedures mastered.  All critical emergencies have to be memorized, mastered and performable in my sleep.  There are 13 of them in total (I'm not superstitious, so having to memorize 13 is no big deal, they don't have 13th floors on buildings though so maybe I should talk to someone about such an unlucky number:) )  They're known as "Red Pages" and as I mentioned we're expected to know them cold.  I feel like an actor some days trying to memorize lines for a movie.  For instance, if there is an engine fire in flight the pilot needs to do the following:  1)reduce speed to 120 knots and manoeuvre the plane away from the direction of flames 2) shut the fuel supply off from the tank 3) cut the fuel-air engine mixture lever 4) put the throttle full forward 5)  turn the ignition off 6) turn the fuel pump off 7) turn the cabin air to off and cold 8) make mayday call 9) turn on emergency locator transmitter 10) turn unnecessary electrics off 11) carry out forced landing procedures, harness tight, landing gear down, flaps as required, and just before landing turn off the alternator and battery.  One of my tactics for remembering all this stuff has been sticking post-it notes all over my room like my headboard and bathroom mirror.  If I can recite my lines while brushing my teeth, surely I can recite them in a real emergency.  And just for the record, on the topic of actors, I do not fancy myself Tom Cruise or Val Kilmer, yet at least.  However, there is a Quebecois guy here named Pierre Gosslein who is a spitting image of Goose and we do call him just that (much to his delight I think).  
I hope you are all doing well.  Thanks for reading.  Back to the books for me.

1 comment:

  1. Three things: 1) You are more like a cross between Tom Cruise and Matt Damon really.
    2) Who is Goose?
    3) Wow. Very impressive mental skills, not to mention reacting correctly under pressure without a barf bag.
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete